Heading for Las Vegas this weekend?
Tired of taking a beating at the table but confused by basic strategy?
Here are four rules that will get you 80 percent of the way to playing even with the house.
Blackjack Tips #1: When to Hit
Use the following rules to determine when to hit, according to your hand and the dealer’s face up card.
-If the dealer’s card is 7 or more, and your hand totals less than 16, hit.
Blackjack Tips #2: When To Stand
-When your hand totals 17 or above, no matter what, stand.
-If the dealer’s up card is 6 or below, and your hand totals 13 or above, Stand.
Blackjack Tips #3: When to Split
-Always split 8s and Aces
Blackjack Tips #4: When to Double
-Always double 11, 10 and 9, if the dealer’s up card is less than your total. So if you have a total of 10 and the dealer’s upcard is 9, double. If your total is 9 and the dealer’s up card is 8, double.
General playing advice
DO NOT PLAY:
– Any game with a 6-5 blackjack payout
– Any game with an automatic reshuffle (a big black machine on the table)
– Any 8 deck game
– In the morning because the table limits will be lower and fewer people at the table
– Try to play 1 and 2 deck games
– Try the $5 single deck game at the El Cortez